Ludwig Gussenbauer founded the construction company that still bears his name in 1873, and in so doing he also laid the corner stone for a long and successful family tradition.
With the growth of industrialisation during the 19th century, the company developed its main fields of activity in chimney and refractory engineering with innovations to meet the new requirements of industry. Initially operating in Vienna and its environs, the company was soon building all over Austria as well as in the other territories of the Habsburg Empire. So it was that the company under the management of Ludwig’s son Ferdinand came to build, for example, the boiler plant at the Hofburg in Vienna in 1880 and the 156 m chimney for Lenzing AG in Upper Austria in 1937.
During the post-war period the company played a significant part in the reconstruction of industry and focussed on the steel and other metallurgical industries, for instance, carrying out the relining of the coke oven batteries at voestalpine Linz in the 1980s and 1990s.